Monday, December 19, 2011

5000 Nautical Miles !!!

 Time travelled:     7:17
 Nautical miles:     52.3
 Docked at:          Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, Florida

The GPS - 5000 nm


We had an awesome dolphin day today!


Before I show you some of the pictures I have to tell you that the odometer hit 5000 nautical miles today - to me that's amazing. What's really amazing is that Garth has not thrown me overboard, tied me to the anchor or set me adrift in the tender!  Thank you Garth for putting up with me  - you see, I like to know what is going to happen before it happens - I like to know what side we are going to tie up on, what type of dock it is - fixed or floating, where the fenders are going to go .. etc etc . Garth alleviated some of my concerns by having lines on both sides of the boat but I still get apprehensive docking. Gee - you would think I'd be use to it by now!! I chalk it up to my training ... as a teacher for 20 some odd years I always had a lesson plan for all classes everyday. Before I left work I had labs prepared and photocopying done, I knew pretty much everything that I was going to do the next day  -- the main variables of course were the students but I could control 99 percent of them. Garth on the other hand lived from minute to minute never knowing what was going to happen next, sometimes he would sit behind a desk waiting for something to happen and other times he would be swamped, he would be dealing with one catastrophe and another catastrophe would be unfolding. Adrenaline rushes were an everyday occurrence as police work is anything but predictable and teaching was totally predictable. So, we have had to do a significant amount of re-training and learning together. Although I have told Garth for years that he is not a very patient teacher he is a great mentor. Thank you Garth,do you think we can do another 5000 miles?


Ok, the dolphins - at one point there had to be twelve of them swimming beside us. There were big ones and small ones, some were swimming straight, some were doing turns, some were jumping. I felt like clapping and throwing fish to them. It was just so amazing. I said to Garth that it was as if the big ones were teaching the little ones how to wake surf and jump. How lucky we are to be able to witness these beautiful creatures everyday. Are you ready for some pictures!








Saving the best for last!!
 



Doesn't it make you want to sit and watch re-runs of Flipper!!!!

We arrived at Burnt Store Marina - has to be a story with that name - this afternoon and we will stay here for a few weeks. Although we had intended to be past here by now Mother Nature or MN for short has not been 100 per cent cooperative!

On the first day of Christmas ....a pelican in a bush!!
                               


Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!


Happy Hanukkah too!